Is poor WiFi signal around your home causing issues? Here’s how you can improve WiFi signal across your home!
You know how it is. Either the Wi-Fi signal reaches every room but to the one you really want it in or the kids and their mates are at home all connected and the signal on your phone disappears in to the abyss. Fear not. There is an answer to these woes.
AB Aerials have recently introduced a range of Access Points (AP) that creates a wireless local area network (WLAN) either to a “dead spot” or around the house and even in to the garden and beyond!! For example, if you want to enable Wi-Fi access in your recently converted cellar but don’t have a router within range, you can install an access point in the cellar and run an Ethernet cable back to the router. A bespoke WLAN can be set up to be run independently from your existing Wi-Fi or in conjunction with it.
What’s the difference between a Wi-Fi extender and an AP I hear you ask? As its name implies, a range extender lengthens the reach of an existing Wi-Fi network. Since range extenders connect wirelessly to Wi-Fi routers, they must be placed where the Wi-Fi router’s signal is already strong, not in the location of the actual dead spot.
There are significant advantages of installing an AP. When you have swarms of family and friends all visiting at once connecting with tablets and mobile phones. Twenty devices on a wireless network adds up quickly. At 60 simultaneous connections each, access points give you the freedom to scale the number of devices supported on your network. But that’s only one of the advantages of using these network enhancers—consider these points:
- Business-grade access points can be installed anywhere you can run an Ethernet cable. Models that AB Aerials employ are also compatible with Power over Ethernet Plus, or PoE+ (a combination Ethernet and power cord), so there is no need to run a separate power line or install an outlet near the access point.
- Additional standard features include Captive Portal and Access Control List (ACL) support, so you can limit guest access without compromising network security, as well as easily manage users within your Wi-Fi network.
- Select access points include a Clustering feature—a single point from which the IT administrator can view, deploy, configure, and secure a Wi-Fi network as a single entity rather than a series of separate access point configurations.
Which products can help with improved WiFi signal?
There are a range of products and functionalities that can be tailored to suit customer requirements. AP’s can be categorised in to three main products
- In wall access points; these provide a separate WLAN or combined WLAN and data access point
- Ceiling access points – which provide Wi-Fi (flooding) throughout the property .
- Bridges – which can provide Wi-Fi from building to building both point to point and point to multi point
Technology is reaching a point where decent Wi-fi signals can be had in every room of the house as long as the ethernet cable run from the router to the AP is do-able. Multiple devices can be added to the network without loss of signal/drop out to individual rooms or the whole property or even the man shed at the bottom of the garden.
Further Reading & Resources
Ab Aerials are the leading home connectivity experts based in Sheffield. Our vast experience and reputation will leave you enjoying your home entertainment, connectivity and WiFi in no time!