Here in AB Aerials world, we’re always trying to find ways for our customers to save a few quid as well as protect them from some of the rogues that lurk in nooks and crannies that are hungry to exploit unwitting folk!!
With this in mind, I want to push Mr and Mrs Customer of AB Aerials slightly out of their comfort zone because a common nuisance I hear is that “I’m not savvy with technology” or “I’ll leave it for the grandkids to sort out as they know how to do it”. This mindset leaves them wide open to vulnerability and to be taken advantage.
What’s that saying? Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Well AB Aerials is here to provide the rod and tackle!!
A common issue of loss of signal is that the plug at the end of the aerial/satellite cable has come away and the connection has been interrupted. It’s a very simple procedure to rectify and not one to be afraid.
The diagram below shows the various stages of stripping a cable and the two most common types of plugs that can be fitted at the end of the pre-terminated cable. The only tools you need are a Stanley Knife and a pair of cutters!
How to terminate a coaxial cable and improve your signal issues.
The process is as follows and should take about 30 seconds
1. Cut the cable to length –mind you fingers
2. Strip the outer casing to a length of about 2.5 cms (an inch) to reveal a braided mesh and a metallic foil/shield which help to protect the cable from electromagnetic interference (EMI) – mind your fingers
3. Remove the foil and push the braiding down to the start of the outer casing. A white /clear insulation layer can be seen – mind your fingers
4. Strip the insulating layer to reveal about 1.5cms of the copper conductor – mind your fingers
5. Screw either the coax pug or F connector on the end of the cable ensuring that none of the braiding touches the copper element.
If this can be mastered there’s the saving of not having to pay for a call out, negating the chances of being “ripped off” and having the deep, deep satisfaction of knowing that you’ve done something for yourself. Anyway, if it all goes belly up call me and be safe in the knowledge you’ll get the job done properly at a reasonable cost!!